To wake up everyday, fresh and full of energy for the day ahead should be the norm. But is it for you, or is it a distant dream? There are always going to be days that sleeping in seems lovely, but what do you do when you are finding yourself waking up exhausted and unable to get out of bed? Where did your energy and vitality go?
There is much cause for low energy in the world we live in today. Stress is a huge factor, as it actually takes its toll on our energy levels and even affecting our immune systems. Lack of quality sleep, too much screen time, lack of physical activity and food lacking in essential nutrients can all take their toll on your body.
Luckily it isn’t that hard to add some easy habits to your routine that boost energy levels naturally! Let’s look at what you can do to add more energy into your daily life.
Lifestyle changes for a natural increase in energy
Although our lifestyles may be lacking, we can always add more positives to keep a balance. These 4 simple things can make a big difference to how you feel when you wake up every morning.
1. Breathe more and stress less:
It might not be as simple as “just relax”, but there are many ways to manage reactions to stressful situations without depleting your energy. Healthy breathing exercises have been proven to help reduce stress and muscular tension while promoting better oxygen delivery throughout the body. Meditation and yoga can help too, and can become part of a lovely daily ritual. If you have a very stressful lifestyle, a relaxing natural remedy like sceletium could help.
2. Sleep tight:
You can never catch up on sleep. Sleep doesn’t just affect energy for the coming day, but your overall energy in weeks to come. Keeping a consistent sleep cycle has a big impact on your mental and physical stamina and boosts energy and vitality naturally. How? Less screen time before bed is a good start!
3. Exercise to energise:
It actually increases energy production on a cellular level. Exercise also increases energy by improving circulation, stabilising blood sugars, and increasing endorphin and hormone production. Even some gentle yoga or walking daily can do wonders for your overall energy levels – the most natural energy boost!
4. Fill up on the right fuel:
Food is a big influencer on how we feel. We actually use a lot of energy digesting food, so make sure what you put in is what you want to get out. The fresher the food, the fresher you feel. Fruits and vegetables contain nutrients which support cell function, and ultimately, energy levels. Making sure you are eating food that will give you energy for longer is also important – foods with a low glycemic index like whole grains, high-fiber vegetables and nuts release energy slowly.
Natural remedies to boost energy and vitality
When you need a little extra help to get a boost, natural remedies for fatigue and low energy can really be the key to finding that happy balance. Here are a few natural remedies to give you energy and vitality:
Energy is a stimulating natural tonic and natural antioxidant remedy. The magical resurrection plant, believed to support energy levels and promote well-being, gives your energy and vitality levels a sustainable boost. Come back to life with the plant of hope and the cleansing power of the red tree medicine. It is made from powerful herbal ingredients Resurrection Plant (Uvukwabafile), Marula (Umganu), Liquorice (Mlomo-Mnandi), Ashwagandha (Ubuvimba) and African Basil
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) is an ancient medicinal herb. This plant is an adaptogen, which means that it helps your body to manage stress and promote mental performance. It helps to improve focus and motivation.
- Marula is famously known for its fruit which ferments when it falls from the tree. Wild animals eat the rotting fruit and become intoxicated. The marula fruit also contains essential oils, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
- Resurrection plant (Selaginella lepidophylla) is named as such because of its ability to survive complete desiccation and drought. It is commonly used in traditional medicine as an infusion to stimulate the immune system.
Elixir Of Life (Izifozonke) is a combination of powerful plants in the name of a legendary African tonic. Believed to support the system with a broad range of ailments: anxiety, cancer, colds, diabetes, epilepsy, flu, fever, flatulence, hypertension, inflammation, rheumatism, parasites, stress and more. Made from African Potato (Inkomfe), African Wormwood (Umhlonyane), Ipomoea Pellita (Ubhoqo), Small Knobwood (Umnungumabele) and Sutherlandia (Unwele)
Elixir of life
- Ipomoea pellita (commonly known as ubhoqo) is a plant found in the Eastern Cape, Free State, KwaZulu-Natal and Mpumalanga. It is commonly used as an anti-inflammatory for treating diabetes, rheumatism, constipation and kidney ailments.
- Small knobwood is an indigenous tree that grows across most of South Africa. The leaves produce a strong citrus smell when crushed and the tree produces an oil-rich seed contained within its fruit. It is used to treat flatulence, stomach ache, fever and even epilepsy.
Isiphethu Sempilo’s Clear Lungs remedy has been carefully created to treat these symptoms using only natural ingredients. This traditional African remedy helps to support the lungs, airway and nasal passage. Clear Lungs can be used to treat coughs, colds, flu, colic, phlegm, infections, congestion and fevers.
- Clear lungs (Ukuhlanza Isifuba) is made from African herbal ingredients African Ginger (Indungulo), Pelargonium (Ikubalo), African wormwood (or Artemisia / African Wormwood /Umhlonyane) a sweet-smelling shrub that is traditionally used as a herbal remedy for overall lung health and breathing and Pepper-Bark Tree (Isibhaha).
Immunity (Amasosha omzimba) is an immune boosting remedy made from two of South Africa’s most famous medicinal plants. Believed to boost the system to combat disease, inhibit microbes (viral, fungal, bacterial), calm inflammation and pain. For daily use, and more importantly when feeling run down or stressed. It is made from powerful herbal ingredients African Potato (Inkomfe), African Ginger (Indungulo), Wild Dagga (Umunyane) and Propolis Extract
- African potato is native to South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland and Botswana. It is a popular herbal remedy that is full of antioxidants and is known to boost the immune system.
- Propolis extract is a wax-like substance, sustainably sourced from beehives. It is a substance produced by bees that is commonly used to provide protection from viruses, bacteria and fungi. Propolis is also an excellent healer.
Disclaimer: These medicines have not been evaluated by SAHPRA and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. These plants have been used in various cultures for many years, by traditional healers, to treat certain ailments. Our 100% natural products contain herbal concentrates and last up to 20 days for R185, making them a cost-effective option in the traditional African medicine industry.
To learn more about African medicines and traditional plant-based remedies, please do not hesitate to contact us. Source of Health is a manufacturer of Traditional African Medicines under the brand Isiphethu Sempilo. We use biomedicine processes to create herbal remedies, combined with scientific methods to ensure the finest quality and trustworthy herbal extracts.
Source of Health offers a range of herbal products that are effective as natural remedies for pain, depression, illnesses and more. The use of medicinal plants as part of traditional African healthcare is one of the oldest and most assorted of all therapeutic systems.
To stay up-to-date with the latest news and Isiphethu Sempilo product launches, follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Take a look at our blog for more informative articles on traditional medicines and healing plants in Africa.