Medicinal plants have been used for thousands of years to treat various illnesses and symptoms. These include physical ailments and mental issues that affect health and wellness. For example, herbal remedies can be used to improve digestion and reduce bloating due to improper diet or other conditions that affect the stomach. Gut health is vital for overall well-being.
Source of Health offers numerous products, under the Isiphethu Sempilo brand, that help to promote digestion, gut health and tackle bloating of the stomach. These traditional remedies can be used by people who are looking to supplement their diet or to treat the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), indigestion and inflammation of the intestines. The following remedies have been specifically formulated to improve stomach functioning and intestinal wellness.
Source of Health products for digestion and bloating
Firstly, we suggest using our Healthy Digestion remedy for better gut health and improved metabolism. This product is believed to assist with digestion, electrolyte absorption, promote bowel movement and combat heartburn, whilst calming inflammation and inhibiting fungal and viral growth within the gut. We recommend taking one teaspoon in a quarter glass of water, twice a day. Healthy Digestion contains the African ginger, aloe, wild verbena, ginger and fennel seed.
Another product that can help with digestion is our Weight Loss remedy. This traditional medicine is inspired by an old Khoisan remedy to suppress the appetite. It also stimulates bowel movement and promotes a healthier colon. This remedy will decrease your food intake which helps to prevent indigestion and bloating. We recommend taking one teaspoon in a quarter glass of water, twice a day. Weight Loss contains Hoodia gordonii, aloe and cinnamon.
Next, we suggest using our Immunity remedy to boost the immune system and inhibit microbes in the stomach, intestines and colon. This remedy can also calm inflammation and reduce bloating and pain associated with the stomach. Take one teaspoon of Immunity in a quarter glass of water, twice a day. This herbal medicine contains African potato, African ginger, honeybush, wild dagga and propolis extract.
For a bloated stomach and cramps associated with the gut region, we recommend using our Anti-Inflammation remedy. This traditional medicine combines five powerful plants with anti-inflammatory properties. It is believed to reduce the symptoms of stomach swelling and abdominal pain. Take one teaspoon in a quarter glass of water, twice a day. Anti-Inflammation contains African ginger, Devil’s claw, ginger, turmeric and black pepper.
Lastly, we suggest using our Elixir of Life tonic. This powerful remedy can be used to treat a broad range of ailments and reduce flatulence and indigestion. It contains effective plant ingredients that can be used to improve the quality of life and general wellness. It also supports the immune system and keeps the body and gut in peak condition. Take one teaspoon in a quarter glass of water, twice per day. Elixir of Life contains African potato, African wormwood, Ipomoea pellita, Small knobwood and Cancer bush.
Elixir of life
Plants used in these suggested products for digestion
Here is a list of plants used in the products above, as well as some of their beneficial properties.
- African ginger (or wild ginger) is a highly sought-after plant for many traditional remedies. Our African ginger is sustainably obtained from agricultural projects as it is almost totally depleted in the wild. It is used to treat a variety of ailments and to boost the immune system.
- African potato is native to South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland and Botswana. It is a popular herbal remedy that is full of antioxidants and is known to boost the immune system.
- African wormwood (or Artemisia) is a sweet-smelling shrub that is traditionally used as a herbal remedy for overall lung health and breathing.
- Aloe is a famous South African plant, renowned for its healing properties. The hard, black, resinous extract from the plant is used mainly for its laxative properties.
- Black pepper is a household spice that has numerous health benefits. It is rich in antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties. It can also help to lower cholesterol levels which improves blood circulation. It is combined with turmeric, together they have a synergistic effect and increase absorption of beneficial compounds.
- Cancer bush is an indigenous bush commonly found in the Western Cape and Northern Cape, along the coastline. It is a remedy for gastric ailments, aches, fevers and even for the treatment of cancer. It can also be used as an antiseptic wash and a lotion for eye infections.
- Cinnamon is a common spice that can help to lower blood sugar levels for an anti-diabetic effect on the body. It prevents unhealthy sugars from entering the bloodstream, which can cause heart disease, diabetes and weight gain.
- Devil’s claw gets its name from its fruit, which has several hook-like claws projecting outward. It is used in traditional medicine to treat fever, pain, arthritis and indigestion.
- Fennel seed is a popular culinary ingredient that tastes similar to liquorice. These seeds are packed with essential oils that have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial effects on the body.
- Ginger is well-known for its medicinal properties, not just in Africa but around the world too. It is used widely to treat colds, flu, nausea and to fight infections.
- Honeybush is commonly consumed as a tea. It grows naturally in the lowland areas of the Western Cape, but we source our honeybush from sustainable suppliers. This plant is rich in antioxidants and minerals, giving it a wide range of health benefits.
- Hoodia gordonii is a well-known medicinal plant that is believed to support weight loss. The spiny succulent has become threatened in the wild due to its popularity, but we source it from sustainable agricultural projects.
- Ipomoea pellita (commonly known as ubhoqo) is a plant found in the Eastern Cape, Free State, KwaZulu-Natal and Mpumalanga. It is commonly used as an anti-inflammatory for treating diabetes, rheumatism, constipation and kidney ailments.
- Propolis extract is a wax-like substance, sustainably sourced from bee hives. It is a substance produced by bees that is commonly used to provide protection from viruses, bacteria and fungi. Propolis is also an excellent wound healer.
- Small knobwood is an indigenous tree that grows across most of South Africa. The leaves produce a strong citrus smell when crushed and the tree produces an oil-rich seed contained within its fruit. It is used to treat flatulence, stomach ache, fever and even epilepsy.
- Turmeric is a common household spice that comes from a root, similar to ginger. It has been used around the world for thousands of years as a medicinal herb. It is an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant remedy used to treat aches and pains.
- Wild dagga (also called lion’s ear or lion’s tail) is actually part of the mint family of plants. It is native to South Africa and is known for its medicinal properties; it has strong antioxidant and heart-protecting properties. Wild dagga has no hallucinogenic effects on the mind, so the name can be misleading.
- Wild verbena is used in traditional African medicine to treat a number of ailments, such as heartburn, swellings and fever.
Black pepper and turmeric are perfect partners. Black pepper helps the body to absorb more curcumin – the active ingredient in turmeric that helps to reduce inflammation and oxidative stress. A study published in Planta Medica found that pairing 20 milligrams of piperine (found in black pepper) with two grams of curcumin increased the amount of curcumin that could be absorbed by the body by 2000 percent.
These Source of Health products will help to promote concentration and boost mental performance at times when focus is needed. They will also help to reduce stress and anxiety, which can improve mental capacity and the ability to study or work. Our 100% natural products contain herbal concentrates and last up to 20 days for R185, making them a cost-effective option in the traditional African medicine industry.
To learn more about African medicines and traditional plant-based remedies, please do not hesitate to contact us. Source of Health is a manufacturer of Traditional African Medicines under the brand Isiphethu Sempilo. We use biomedicine processes to create herbal remedies, combined with scientific methods to ensure the finest quality and trustworthy herbal extracts.
Source of Health offers a range of herbal products that are effective as natural remedies for pain, depression, illnesses and more. The use of medicinal plants as part of traditional African healthcare is one of the oldest and most assorted of all therapeutic systems. It has been used through the ages to maintain health, as well as to prevent, diagnose, improve or treat physical and mental illnesses.
To stay up-to-date with the latest news and Isiphethu Sempilo product launches, follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Take a look at our blog for more informative articles on traditional medicines and healing plants in Africa.
Disclaimer:These medicines have not been evaluated by SAHPRA and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. These plants have been used in various cultures for many years, by traditional healers, to treat certain ailments.