People are often most vulnerable after an injury – whether from surgery, an accident or a sports mishap. When we injure ourselves, we need to look after our bodies more carefully during the recovery phase to ensure that the process is fast and effective. This will allow us to get back to full health and return to normal life as soon as possible and without putting our immune systems under more strain.
Source of Health offers a number of products, under the Isiphethu Sempilo brand, that help to promote recovery, healing and boost the immune system. These traditional remedies can be used by people who are recovering from cuts, bruises, surgeries, broken bones, sprains and torn muscles. The following remedies have been specifically formulated to boost the immune system and strengthen the body during recovery.
Source of Health products for recovery
Firstly, we suggest using our Anti-Bacterial remedy to rid the body of any harmful germs during recovery. This product is especially effective when the patient has an open wound that is healing. The herbal ingredients in Anti-Bacterial contain antioxidants that support a stressed immune system and speed up recovery. We recommend taking one teaspoon in a quarter glass of water, twice per day. Anti-Bacterial contains African potato, rooibos, honeybush and propolis extract.
Another product that can help with recovery is our Anti-Inflammation product, which contains five powerful anti-inflammatory herbal ingredients. This herbal remedy can help to reduce swelling and pain after an internal injury, such as a sprained ankle or torn muscle. It makes the recovery phase less painful and can improve your quality of life during this stage. We recommend taking one teaspoon in a quarter glass of water, twice a day. Anti-Inflammation contains African ginger, devil’s claw, ginger, turmeric and black pepper.
Next, we suggest using our Immunity remedy to boost the immune system during recovery. Any injury, whether internal or external, can lead to a compromised immune system which leaves a person vulnerable to other illnesses. By boosting the immune system, a person can improve their recovery time and stay strong during this period. Take one teaspoon of Immunity in a quarter glass of water, twice a day. This remedy contains African potato, African ginger, honeybush, wild dagga and propolis extract.
For injuries to the joints, such as sprained fingers and toes, or dislocated shoulders and hips, try using our Healthy Joints remedy. This traditional medicine contains plant ingredients that have anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce swelling and soreness in the joints and bones. It can also be used to minimise stiffness and boost healing of internal injuries. We recommend taking one teaspoon, twice a day, in a quarter glass of water. Healthy Joints contains pineapple flower, devil’s claw, turmeric, MSM and black pepper.
Lastly, we suggest using our Elixir of Life tonic. This powerful remedy can be used to treat a broad range of ailments and injuries. It contains renowned plant ingredients that can be used to improve the quality of life during recovery from injury. It also supports the immune system and keeps the body in fighting condition. Take one teaspoon in a quarter glass of water, twice per day. Elixir of Life contains African potato, African wormwood, Ipomoea pellita, Small knobwood and Cancer bush.
Elixir of life
Plants used in these suggested products for recovery
Here is a list of plants and natural substances and some of their beneficial properties, that are used in the suggested recovery products above.
- African ginger (or wild ginger) is a highly sought-after plant for many traditional remedies. Our African ginger is sustainably obtained from agricultural projects as it is almost totally depleted in the wild. It is used to treat a variety of ailments and to boost the immune system.
- African potato is native to South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland and Botswana. It is a popular herbal remedy that is full of antioxidants and is known to boost the immune system.
- African wormwood (or Artemisia) is a sweet-smelling shrub that is traditionally used as a herbal remedy for overall lung health and breathing.
- Black pepper is a household spice that has numerous health benefits. It is rich in antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties. It can also help to lower cholesterol levels which improves blood circulation. It is combined with turmeric, together they have a synergistic effect and increase absorption of beneficial compounds.
- Cancer bush is an indigenous bush commonly found in the Western Cape and Northern Cape, along the coastline. It is a remedy for gastric ailments, aches, fevers and even for the treatment of cancer. It can also be used as an antiseptic wash and a lotion for eye infections.
- Devil’s claw gets its name from its fruit, which has several hook-like claws projecting outward. It is used in traditional medicine to treat fever, pain, arthritis and indigestion.
- Ginger is well-known for its medicinal properties, not just in Africa but around the world too. It is used widely to treat colds, flu, nausea and to fight infections.
- Honeybush is commonly consumed as a tea. It grows naturally in the lowland areas of the Western Cape, but we source our honeybush from sustainable suppliers. This plant is rich in antioxidants and minerals, giving it a wide range of health benefits.
- Ipomoea pellita (commonly known as ubhoqo) is a plant found in the Eastern Cape, Free State, KwaZulu-Natal and Mpumalanga. It is commonly used as an anti-inflammatory for treating diabetes, rheumatism, constipation and kidney ailments.
- MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) is a supplement that can be used to decrease joint pain and speed up recovery after exercise. It has anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce pain and stiffness of the joints and muscles.
- Pineapple flower is not actually from a pineapple plant – it is a unique species called Eucomis autumnalis, but the flowers resemble yellow pineapples. This plant has anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties and is often used to treat back pain and improve post-workout recovery.
- Propolis extract is a wax-like substance, sustainably sourced from bee hives. It is a substance produced by bees that is commonly used to provide protection from viruses, bacteria and fungi. Propolis is also an excellent wound healer.
- Rooibos is a popular plant in South Africa – most famous for its use in tea. It grows in the fynbos regions but is also cultivated on sustainable farms. It is rich in antioxidants and has been noted for its benefits for the heart and cholesterol.
- Small knobwood is an indigenous tree that grows across most of South Africa. The leaves produce a strong citrus smell when crushed and the tree produces an oil-rich seed contained within its fruit. It is used to treat flatulence, stomach ache, fever and even epilepsy.
- Turmeric is a common household spice that comes from a root, similar to ginger. It has been used around the world for thousands of years as a medicinal herb. It is an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant remedy used to treat aches and pains.
- Wild dagga (also called lion’s ear or lion’s tail) is actually part of the mint family of plants. It is native to South Africa and is known for its medicinal properties; it has strong antioxidant and heart-protecting properties. Wild dagga has no hallucinogenic effects on the mind, so the name can be misleading.
These Source of Health products will help to promote recovery after injury and boost the immune system. They will also help to improve the body’s recovery time and enhance the quality of life after a painful injury. Our 100% natural products contain herbal concentrates and last up to 20 days for R185, making them a cost-effective option in the traditional African medicine industry.
To learn more about African medicines and traditional plant-based remedies, please do not hesitate to contact us. Source of Health is a manufacturer of Traditional African Medicines under the brand Isiphethu Sempilo. We use biomedicine processes to create herbal remedies, combined with scientific methods to ensure the finest quality and trustworthy herbal extracts.
Source of Health offers a range of herbal products that are effective as natural remedies for pain, depression, illnesses and more. The use of medicinal plants as part of traditional African healthcare is one of the oldest and most assorted of all therapeutic systems. It has been used through the ages to maintain health, as well as to prevent, diagnose, improve or treat physical and mental illnesses.
To stay up-to-date with the latest news and Isiphethu Sempilo product launches, follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Take a look at our blog for more informative articles on traditional medicines and healing plants in Africa.
Disclaimer:These medicines have not been evaluated by SAHPRA and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. These plants have been used in various cultures for many years, by traditional healers, to treat certain ailments.