Herbal medicines are not only effective for treating symptoms of illnesses and minimising the recovery time after an injury, but they can also be used to boost concentration, focus and mental performance. Plants can be used to promote energy and mental capacity, allowing consumers to perform at their most optimal level and increase their work output. The ability to concentrate and focus on tasks is vital for daily functioning.
Source of Health offers a number of products, under the Isiphethu Sempilo brand, that help to promote focus, concentration and mental performance. These traditional remedies can be used by people who lack energy and motivation during the day, or who struggle to stay focused on important tasks or their studies. The following remedies have been specifically formulated to improve attention, focus and work-related performance.
Source of Health products for concentration
Firstly, we suggest using our Energy remedy for a boost in mental performance and focus. This product will help to increase your energy levels and enable you to perform at your mental best. It contains vital antioxidants and is stimulant and caffeine-free. It is believed to support energy levels and promote general well-being. We recommend taking two teaspoons in a quarter glass of water, every morning. Energy contains the resurrection plant, marula, liquorice, ashwagandha and African basil.
Another product that can help with concentration is our Relax remedy. This traditional medicine is inspired by an age-old Khoisan remedy. Relax can help to reduce stress and tension while improving concentration. It also minimises anxiety and allows the consumer to contain their worries and focus on important tasks. Relax can be taken to improve mood and general well-being. We recommend taking one teaspoon in a quarter glass of water, twice a day. It contains sceletium, wild pear and ashwagandha.
Next, we suggest using our Immunity remedy to boost the immune system and relieve stress. In order to concentrate and focus, you need to feel healthy and stress-free. By boosting the immune system, a person can improve their mental performance and remain in top physical condition for studying or working. Take one teaspoon of Immunity in a quarter glass of water, twice a day. This remedy contains African potato, African ginger, honeybush, wild dagga and propolis extract.
Lastly, we suggest using our Elixir of Life tonic. This powerful remedy can be used to treat a broad range of ailments and reduce work-related stress. It contains renowned plant ingredients that can be used to improve the quality of life during stressful times. It also supports the immune system and keeps the body and mind in peak condition. Take one teaspoon in a quarter glass of water, twice per day. Elixir of Life contains African potato, African wormwood, Ipomoea pellita, Small knobwood and Cancer bush.
Elixir of life
Plants used in these suggested products for focus
Here is a list of plants and natural substances and some of their beneficial properties, that are used in the suggested recovery products above.
- African basil is a hybrid plant that can only be grown from cuttings – it does not produce seeds. It has antimicrobial, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- African ginger (or wild ginger) is a highly sought-after plant for many traditional remedies. Our African ginger is sustainably obtained from agricultural projects as it is almost totally depleted in the wild. It is used to treat a variety of ailments and to boost the immune system.
- African potato is native to South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland and Botswana. It is a popular herbal remedy that is full of antioxidants and is known to boost the immune system.
- African wormwood (or Artemisia) is a sweet-smelling shrub that is traditionally used as a herbal remedy for overall lung health and breathing.
- Black pepper is a household spice that has numerous health benefits. It is rich in antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties. It can also help to lower cholesterol levels which improves blood circulation. It is combined with turmeric, together they have a synergistic effect and increase absorption of beneficial compounds.
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) is an ancient medicinal herb. The species name somnifera means “sleep-inducing” in Latin. This plant is an adaptogen, which means that it helps your body to manage stress and promote relaxation.
- Cancer bush is an indigenous bush commonly found in the Western Cape and Northern Cape, along the coastline. It is a remedy for gastric ailments, aches, fevers and even for the treatment of cancer. It can also be used as an antiseptic wash and a lotion for eye infections.
- Honeybush is commonly consumed as a tea. It grows naturally in the lowland areas of the Western Cape, but we source our honeybush from sustainable suppliers. This plant is rich in antioxidants and minerals, giving it a wide range of health benefits.
- Ipomoea pellita (commonly known as ubhoqo) is a plant found in the Eastern Cape, Free State, KwaZulu-Natal and Mpumalanga. It is commonly used as an anti-inflammatory for treating diabetes, rheumatism, constipation and kidney ailments.
- Liquorice is that peculiar-flavoured black sweet, but it is actually made from plants. The liquorice plant contains a unique flavour, which is extracted from the roots. It is used in herbal remedies due to its potent antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial effects.
- Marula is famously known for its fruit which ferments when it falls from the tree. Wild animals eat the rotting fruit and become intoxicated. The marula fruit also contains essential oils, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
- Propolis extract is a wax-like substance, sustainably sourced from beehives. It is a substance produced by bees that is commonly used to provide protection from viruses, bacteria and fungi. Propolis is also an excellent wound healer.
- Resurrection plant (Selaginella lepidophylla) is named as such because of its ability to survive complete desiccation and drought. It is commonly used in traditional medicine as an infusion where dried plant material is steeped hot water. The resulting tea is used as an antimicrobial to treat colds and sore throats.
- Sceletium (commonly called kanna) is a common succulent plant that grows in South Africa. It has been used in ancient African remedies as a mood-enhancer and to combat stress and depression. The dried plant is normally chewed but it can be used as a herbal tea.
- Small knobwood is an indigenous tree that grows across most of South Africa. The leaves produce a strong citrus smell when crushed and the tree produces an oil-rich seed contained within its fruit. It is used to treat flatulence, stomach ache, fever and even epilepsy.
- Wild dagga (also called lion’s ear or lion’s tail) is actually part of the mint family of plants. It is native to South Africa and is known for its medicinal properties; it has strong antioxidant and heart-protecting properties. Wild dagga has no hallucinogenic effects on the mind, so the name can be misleading.
- Wild pear looks similar to a true pear tree but is not related. The bark is used in herbal remedies as an infusion or enema to treat stomach ulcers, nausea and chest pains.
These Source of Health products will help to promote concentration and boost mental performance at times when focus is needed. They will also help to reduce stress and anxiety, which can improve mental capacity and the ability to study or work. Our 100% natural products contain herbal concentrates and last up to 20 days for R185, making them a cost-effective option in the traditional African medicine industry.
To learn more about African medicines and traditional plant-based remedies, please do not hesitate to contact us. Source of Health is a manufacturer of Traditional African Medicines under the brand Isiphethu Sempilo. We use biomedicine processes to create herbal remedies, combined with scientific methods to ensure the finest quality and trustworthy herbal extracts.
Source of Health offers a range of herbal products that are effective as natural remedies for pain, depression, illnesses and more. The use of medicinal plants as part of traditional African healthcare is one of the oldest and most assorted of all therapeutic systems. It has been used through the ages to maintain health, as well as to prevent, diagnose, improve or treat physical and mental illnesses.
To stay up-to-date with the latest news and Isiphethu Sempilo product launches, follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Take a look at our blog for more informative articles on traditional medicines and healing plants in Africa.
Disclaimer:These medicines have not been evaluated by SAHPRA and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. These plants have been used in various cultures for many years, by traditional healers, to treat certain ailments.